Dementia Friendly Parishes around the Yealm
Welcome to Dementia Friendly Parishes around the Yealm. This website has been sponsored by a grant from Rotary District 1290.
It is not just cities and towns that are seeking to become dementia friendly. For example, five parishes around the River Yealm in South Devon have come together and committed to improve and change the lives of people with dementia and their carers. To help deliver this innovative two year project a co-ordinator has been employed in the Parishes of Brixton, Yealmpton, Wembury, Newton and Noss and Holbeton to develop dementia-friendly parishes.
The key aims of Dementia Friendly Parishes around the Yealm are to:-
- Promote individual and community based activities and services for people with dementia, their carers and families across the parishes of Wembury, Brixton, Yealmpton , Newton & Noss and Holbeton.
- Ensure that people with dementia, their carers and families have a voice and are able to maintain and, where necessary, increase their social contacts within their local community.
- Develop or contribute to the development of suitable inclusive social activities and services locally for people with dementia and their carers.
- Work in collaboration with local groups and organisations.
- Ensure people with dementia and their carers have access to all community activities.