Dementia Friendly Parishes around the Yealm is an innovative 2 year project which has been set up by representatives of the 5 parishes of Holbeton, Newton & Noss, Yealmpton, Brixton and Wembury on the estuary of the River Yealm supported by other voluntary organisations.
The key aims of Dementia Friendly Parishes around the Yealm are to
- Promote individual and community based activities and services for people with dementia, their carers and families across the parishes of Wembury, Brixton, Yealmpton , Newton & Noss and Holbeton ;
- Ensure that people with dementia, their carers and families have a voice and are able to maintain and, where necessary, increase their social contacts within their local community;
- Develop or contribute to the development of suitable inclusive social activities and services locally for people with dementia and their carers;
- Work in collaboration with local groups and organisations;
- Ensure people with dementia and their carers have access to all community activities.
It is anticipated that this work will change the culture and resilience of our communities to enable them to be sustainable and continue to meet the changing social needs of people with dementia in the long term.